[PLUG] Galeon - the experience

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri Sep 13 22:20:49 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 17:36, Richard Steffens wrote:
> Are there configuration issues that would markedly affect the apparent
> speediness of Galeon, or Mozilla? When I run my machine under Windows,
> using either IE or Netscape 4.7, download times are very quick (I'm on
> cable). But, when I run either Galeon or Mozilla, under Linux, they
> really crawl. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

This would have to be characterized much better in order to start
troubleshooting it.  Do other apps download slow as well (like ftp or
sftp)?  What does ifconfig show for the ethernet device?  What is the
ethernet device?

In general, the default settings for Winblows is designed for dial-up
connection speeds, and you're lucky if it responds well to cable speeds,
linux defaults are usually geared to ethernet communication, and almost
always respond well to cable speeds.

Give us more to go on.

Derek Loree