[PLUG] Threading

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Sep 15 05:01:34 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Carla" == Carla Schroder <pluglist at bratgrrl.com> writes:

Carla> yep, same here with Kmail 2.2. About 30-40% on any list. Knode,
Carla> the newsreader, is even worse. I don't use threaded mode very
Carla> much, so it doesn't bother me, but I would like a newsreader
Carla> that threads correctly.

I don't know about your reading software, but at least part of the
problem is _posting_ software.  That is, when someone replies to a
mailing list message, but the reply does not include a "References:"
header line or even an "In-Reply-To:" line.  Without that information
in the message, a mail reader has no clue how to thread it, except a
very rough idea due to it probably having the same or similar subject
line.  I complained about a few subscribers MUA's (I think it was
Outlook) a few months ago on plug-talk.  It also didn't help that the
repliers weren't including much of any quotation in their replies.

If you find a disconnected thread, check the message headers and see
if there is a "References" or "In-Reply-To" line, and see if I am not
correct.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more