[PLUG] Who's an X-pert here?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Sep 15 21:18:02 UTC 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   These changes were made on one box wtihout a problem, on the other one,
> > however, after I made those changes and restarted X, the root window does
> > not display properly. It's a series of vertical columns, each with thin,
> > black and white horizontal bands. The Xfce control panels, virtual
> > terminals, the GIMP main menu and so on all display properly, it's only the
> > root window that's trashed. Doesn't matter if I change the xfce background,
> > either. Same problem persists. I have a couple of .jpg screenshots that show
> > what it looks like if anyone wants to see.
>
>   To follow up on my own post, it's been suggested to me that the
> video card may be failing. I've no reason to dispute this. So, if this
> really is the case, I'd like suggestions for a video card that works
> with XFree86-4.0.2, has 4-8M vRAM (we don't play games so this is
> sufficient here) and is locally available at a very reasonable price.

While I don't necessarily agree with the diagnosis (doesn't make sense to
me that only the root window is farbed), I can certainly recommend a card.

For the sorts of things I know you do (from your posts here to the list),
I would recommend a Matrox card.  Get either a G200- or G400-based card
and you'll be quite pleased.  The mga driver in XFree4 is quite good.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net