[PLUG] Crontab quests

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Sep 16 18:57:14 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 13:36, Kyle Thomason wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a cron job set to run every weekday to turn off the internal
> facing card on my firewall (my wife doesn't want to be distracted by the
> Internet during the day). However, she says that she can still work.
>
> Here's the content of /var/spool/cron/root
>
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
> # (firewall_time installed on Thu Sep  5 06:37:17 2002)
> # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
> 0 7 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /sbin/ifconfig eth1 down
> 0 13 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /sbin/ifconfig eht1 up

I know it is kind of silly for one liners, but when I set up cron jobs,
I write a script that gets called by cron with no arguments, the script
itself contains all of the commands and arguments.  This is easier to
test, because you can run the script from command line, and be pretty
sure that cron will run it the same way.

I'm not sure this will help, but it may be worth $0.02.

Derek Loree