[PLUG] Mouse problems w/ XFree on Debian Laptop

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Sep 16 21:55:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:10, Ben Prew wrote:

> > > Incorrect assumption, in this case, both gpm and the X-server are trying
> > > to read from the same device at the same time.  The fix is easy, you
> > > just need to set up the X-server to read from /dev/gpmdata instead of
> > > /dev/psaux.  If you allowed debconf to handle your X-server
> >
> > I had the exact same problem when I switched my ancient Pentium laptop
> > from RH 7.2 to the latest and greatest Debian. I believe I tried setting
> > X to read from /dev/gpmdata without success. I solved the problem by
> > eliminating gpm entirely. I don't seem to be missing it.
>
> That appeared to be the problem, doing a gpm -k before starting X worked.
> Although, I wasn't able to read from /dev/gpmdata even when gpm was running.  I
> switched back to /dev/psaux and just kill gpm before starting X.

This is probably due to the repeat protocol that you chose for the gpm
configuration.  Try setting it to "raw", that usually works with well
behaved mice.  BTW, the "proper" (debian) way to stop the gpm server is
to do a "/etc/init.d/gpm stop", and a "/etc/init.d/gpm start" to get it
going again (in case something else needs to be done as well).

HTH

Derek Loree