[PLUG] CD further burning

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Sep 17 03:28:16 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:
> >This is correct. CD-RW have significantly lower reflectivity than CD-Rs
> >(which in turn aren't quite as reflective as CDs). Many DVD players
> >designed to play also MP3s and VCDs will handle CDRWs, but most CD players
> >won't.
> >
> Can DVD player read CDRWs even not fixated ???
Most would not. There are two separate problems here: low reflectivity of
CDRW and multisession format. DVD players designed to cope with CDRW
will play them, but unless the software is designed to handle multisession
CDs it won't, even if you master that CDRW onto a regular shiny CD.

> I carried a test burning multisessions on CDRW.  After burning of 1st
> session I left it unfixated.  I continued to burn 2nd session also
> unfixated and then fixated the whole CDRW afterwards.  When I played the
> CDRW on CD player I only found the first session.  I am uncertain
This is exactly what is supposed to happen, only the first session should
be visible. Even some computer CD drivers won't see the other sessions.
Since many DVD players use DVD-ROM drive inside, they could read multisession
CDs in theory, if they have the right software.

> I am going to get a DVD player if it can play CDRW unfixated.
Nope, it can play CDRW, but it can't play anything unfixated. If you manage
to press a real CD unfixated, it won't play either.