[PLUG] Mouse problems w/ XFree on Debian Laptop

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 17 16:47:42 UTC 2002

Benjamin Prew wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:55, Derek Loree wrote:
>
>>>That appeared to be the problem, doing a gpm -k before starting X worked.
>>>Although, I wasn't able to read from /dev/gpmdata even when gpm was running.  I
>>>switched back to /dev/psaux and just kill gpm before starting X.
>>
>>This is probably due to the repeat protocol that you chose for the gpm
>>configuration.  Try setting it to "raw", that usually works with well
>>behaved mice.  BTW, the "proper" (debian) way to stop the gpm server is
>>to do a "/etc/init.d/gpm stop", and a "/etc/init.d/gpm start" to get it
>>going again (in case something else needs to be done as well).
>

> Cool, changing the repeat to raw fixed it.  Hehe, I wondered about the
> "proper" (debian) way :).

Darn, I thought this would work for me.  When my Toshiba laptop with
external ps/2 mouse attached first comes up in X, the mouse moves erractly.
  Replugging the mouse fixes it.

I edited /etc/sysconfig/gpm and added OPTIONS="-R raw"
is that the right place?  Actually, now that I look at it, I must have
disabled gpm from starting up during previous troubleshooting.

While I wrote this, the mouse started working all by itself, but the
"eraser" mouse is ignored...oh well, looks like a Toshiba thing.

--
Kyle Accardi