[PLUG] problems with gcombust -- was-- CD further burning

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Sep 17 18:01:45 UTC 2002

On 17 Sep 2002, Derek Loree wrote:

> When both drives are on the same controller, they both cannot be
> accessed simultaneously.  This can cause big problems.  The main
> thing to keep in mind:  once the burner ignites, it must have a
> continuous stream of data, any interruption will cause the burn to
> fail.  This is the main reason for having the data to be burned on
> the harddrive (on a separate controller from the burner).  It is
> also why you don't want to burn data from a mounted network file
> system either.

Of course, some of us burn CDs across the network all the time,
figuring that an occasional toasted burn[1] is a small price to pay
for the convenience of storing ISOs on the network. :-)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>

[1] Which is completely theoretical in my experience. On my home
    network, an nfs-mount image has never failed to provide a good
    burn.