[PLUG] problems with gcombust -- was-- CD further burning

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 17 18:09:51 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jason Dagit wrote:

> The work around I use that always works is to mount the disk, copy to
> local filesystem, them tell gcombust to make a cd from data directories.
> It works, but I would like to learn to duplicate the cd since I have two
> drives.

Jason,

  My setup is different from yours, with an ATAPI cdrom and a fast-wide SCSI
cd-rw. I've used xcdroast in the past (it's a GUI front-end to mkisofs and
cdrecord), but now I'm just working off the command line.

  Anyway, my point is that I learned to make a disk copy (with mkisofs) from
the cdrom, then burn that on the cd-r with cdrecord. I wasn't even aware
that one could do it in one step. If nothing else, the reads might not keep
the write buffers full (despite the relative speeds of the two).

  Is there a problem with disk space? Seems to me that mkisofs needs to be
run to read the contents off the source disk and prepare them for writing as
an ISO formatted file.

Just curious,