[PLUG] Debian-like distro (with actual hardware detection) - does it exist?

Josh Zeckser josh at barkingcorndog.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 17 18:24:58 UTC 2002

I don't remember where, but I thought I read something about a Linux
distro that was based on Debian, including the wonderful apt-get system,
the major difference being that it would automatically detect all of
your hardware accurately. I have enjoyed Debian on my laptop, which
works just fine, but when I tried it on my main box, either:
a) sound card won't work
b) network card won't work
c) can't use plain CD-ROM drive
d) CD-RW drive treated as plain CD-ROM - no burning cd's on this box!
e) all of the above
If you chose e, you are correct! After spending a week or so trying to
solve the hardware issues on Debian's terms, including discover, which
made 3 mount points for 2 cd-rom drives and did nothing to /etc/fstab,
and etherconf, which deleted my eth0 /etc/network/interfaces at each
bootup (after I had to manually edit the file with my eth0 info,
etherconf would delete it. Doesn't matter, the damn thing never worked
either way), I fixed the machine with my trusty Red Hat disc that
figured out all of my hardware without a hitch.
	Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I love Debian and I love its
apt-get system. I abhor the way Debian deals with hardware. I love Red
Hat's hardware detection and tools like sndconfig, but I really don't
care for rpm. I want something with the good parts from both camps.
Hardware detection + apt-get.
	Any suggestions?