[PLUG] problems with gcombust -- was-- CD further burning

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Tue Sep 17 18:26:21 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
> > The work around I use that always works is to mount the disk, copy to
> > local filesystem, them tell gcombust to make a cd from data directories.
> > It works, but I would like to learn to duplicate the cd since I have two
> > drives.
>
>   My setup is different from yours, with an ATAPI cdrom and a fast-wide SCSI
> cd-rw. I've used xcdroast in the past (it's a GUI front-end to mkisofs and
> cdrecord), but now I'm just working off the command line.

I tried xcdroast a couple times (about 1 year ago) but it segfaulted on
startup.  Which led me to using gcombust.

>   Is there a problem with disk space? Seems to me that mkisofs needs to be
> run to read the contents off the source disk and prepare them for writing as
> an ISO formatted file.

There is a problem with disk space right now.  I have pruned my partions
and data files back to "really small" because I am waiting for my new
computer to arrive and I want to reduce the amount of data that must be
moved.  Normally it isn't an issue.  I usually have several more gigs that
I need.  It is more of an efficiency issue really.  There are many
times when I borrow a CD from a friend and want to make a copy so I can
give their copy back.

I'll try xcdroast the next time I try this.

Thanks,
Jason