[PLUG] DSL modem

Russell Evans revans at e-z.net
Tue Sep 17 21:28:19 UTC 2002

When faced with a problem like this; where the links are tested to be know
goods, the equipment is tested to be a know good, or swapped out to a known
good, that the only thing left to try is environmentals.

Power, cooling, E&M, ... can all effect things. Way back in the day, ELI in
Seattle had an issue with a OC-12 going down at 3:00 in the afternoon. It
wasn't all the days, but always around three. It took a while for the techs to
notice that the vertical blinds didn't quite meet and the sun came around the
Westin at three ( A sunny day in Seattle, yeah right ). On a sunny day, a beam
of sunshine would poke through the blinds and hit the gap in the door of the
cover of the OC-12 and bounce off of some E&M plating onto the optical
receiver. There was enough light leakage on the receiver that the beam would
over-drive the sensor.

Thank you
Russell