[PLUG] BIND issue

Robby Russell matchboy at tearitalldown.com
Wed Sep 18 04:46:11 UTC 2002

My local LAN is having problems.
I had no glitches with BIND until this weekend.
I was only sharing my ISP connection through a linux box that is a
router/dns/dhcp...

I added a few domain names to the DNS server this weekend...and in doing
so, the local lan seems to have some issues with resolving servernames on
the first/second attempts.

for example:
I will use one of the machines on the local lan, and run nslookup
It shows:
Default Server: dns.domainname.com
Addres: 192.168.0.1

>pdxlinux.org
Server: dns.domianname.com
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.com
DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.com
*** Request to dns.domainname.com timed-out

any pointers or suggestions on how to track down this problem?
if i try the same server name 3 times or so, it eventually finds it.

-robby