[PLUG] Debian-like distro (with actual hardware detection) -does it exist?

John Hampton John.Hampton at gijoes.com
Wed Sep 18 14:19:29 UTC 2002

Stephen wrote:
>One thing I could not understand.  According to my recollection, Debian
>distro has 3 CDs.  Why this distro has only one of capacity 94.4MB

The full debian distro is now up to around 8 CDs if you want all of them. (they can be found at http://hogwarts.orbital.us when it comes back up, if it ever does that is :)
The reason that the ISO that you downloaded is only 94 megs is because it is a minimal install.  I believe that it has the graphical installer that does the hardware detection, etc. but then grabs the packages you want to install off of the net.  So if you do decide to use that installer, I would suggest that you have cable or DSL internet, because if you don't, you'll be waiting for quite a while.

John Hampton
Programmer Analyst
G.I. Joe's, Inc.
john.hampton at gijoes.com