[PLUG] rpm-4.1 released

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Wed Sep 18 16:54:46 UTC 2002

On 18 Sep 2002, Jon Jacob wrote:

> Mostly though, I am curious what libpopt is and why it screwed up my
> machine.

[heinlein at pecos heinlein]$ rpm -qi popt
Name        : popt
Summary     : A C library for parsing command line parameters.
Description :
Popt is a C library for parsing command line parameters. Popt was
heavily influenced by the getopt() and getopt_long() functions, but it
improves on them by allowing more powerful argument expansion. Popt
can parse arbitrary argv[] style arrays and automatically set
variables based on command line arguments. Popt allows command line
arguments to be aliased via configuration files and includes utility
functions for parsing arbitrary strings into argv[] arrays using
shell-like rules.

Without libpopt.so, some compiled programs are unable to process
command-line arguments. I've never had a problem with that library,
however, so I'm unsure at what point it'd mess up the boot process.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>