[PLUG] BIND issue

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Sep 18 17:20:09 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 21:46, Robby Russell wrote:
> My local LAN is having problems.
> I had no glitches with BIND until this weekend.
> I was only sharing my ISP connection through a linux box that is a
> router/dns/dhcp...
>
> I added a few domain names to the DNS server this weekend...and in doing
> so, the local lan seems to have some issues with resolving servernames on
> the first/second attempts.
>
> for example:
> I will use one of the machines on the local lan, and run nslookup
> It shows:
> Default Server: dns.domainname.com
> Addres: 192.168.0.1
> >

> >pdxlinux.org
> Server: dns.domianname.com
> Address: 192.168.0.1
>
> DNS request timed out.
>      timeout was 2 seconds.com
> DNS request timed out.
>      timeout was 2 seconds.com
> *** Request to dns.domainname.com timed-out
>

> any pointers or suggestions on how to track down this problem?

What do the log files say about it?  Try restarting the DNS server,
check to see if all zones were loaded properly (particularly the hints
or root zone).

> if i try the same server name 3 times or so, it eventually finds it.

This sounds like it could be trying to do a reverse lookup (and waiting
for a time-out), or your forwarders are not responding appropriately (Do
you have forwarders set up?).

HTH a little.

Derek Loree