[PLUG] OpenBSD (was: 2 NICs)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Sep 18 23:13:18 UTC 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com wrote:

>   I recall reading here a few years ago, that either Open or NetBSD
> was slightly better than linux for a firewall application. I don't
> recall exactly why, but it was security related.

OpenBSD is often chosen over say, RedHat, since OpenBSD is designed to be
secure "out of the box", whereas RedHat is designed to be working "out of
the box".

There are lots of choices which would make a good firewall os-- OpenBSD
being one.  Another one which looks interesting (and requires more
work) is LIDS (http://www.lids.org/).  This provides excellent protection
against hacks since even root canot modify protected files (which you need
to define) without a system reboot.

  -- Steve