[PLUG] 2 NICs

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Wed Sep 18 23:25:26 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 15:56, Galen Seitz wrote:

> > >Ok, second through, I'm using debian on this box, and I wanted to use
> > >Linux for the iptables stuff.  But does anybody think that a BSD would
> > >work better?
> > >
> > >I'm using the 2.4.19 kernel
> > >
> > >*runs off to try the 2.2 kernel debian provided*
> > >

> > Another possibility is that both PCI slots are sharing an IRQ. This
> > could make the configuration you are attempting impossible.
> >

> This shouldn't necessarily be a problem.  It might be worthwhile to have
> a look at this page, though it may be out of date.
> http://www.scyld.com/expert/irq-conflict.html

This was a good read, very informative.  I think the lesson here is (for
pci devices): if you can't assign an IRQ to a slot in your BIOS, the
only other way to change the IRQ assignment is to put the card in a
different slot.  BTW, an easy way to free up IRQ's (15 just isn't enough
to go around) is to disable (in the BIOS) any unneeded serial and
parallel ports.

Thanks,

Derek