[PLUG] 2 NICs

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Sep 19 16:49:49 UTC 2002

Galen Seitz wrote:

>The main point I was trying to make was that PCI hardware supports IRQ
>sharing.  It is certainly possible that the driver doesn't support it,
>though it seems from a quick google search that there are people using
>2 ne2k-pci cards

As have I. However, on occasion, I've run into the motherboard that
shares IRQs between PCI slots that are next to each other. The solution
(and this never fails, when it's available) is to put the NICs in the
machine with a slot seperating them. Or even just move one card to the
slot on the other side of the other NIC. Either action would cause the
card to now be in a slot that is not sharing an IRQ.

In this case, that's not an option, as there are only two PCI slots. I
suspect the driver needs different IRQs, or it wouldn't know where to
talk when that interupt signals. I suspect that's the root reason for
the problem we're trying to troubleshoot here.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net