[PLUG] WINE Question

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Fri Sep 20 21:23:30 UTC 2002

On 20 Sep 2002, Russell Senior wrote:

> David> MS Fortran!!  This was Micro Soft's somewhat successful attempt
> David> to kill a great language....
>
> Heh, yeah.  Not my choice...

Fortran is a fine language.  My compliant is MS Fortran.  Actually,
back when I was doing lots of Fortran I never found a good Fortran
for small computers.  MS Fortran was buggy.  However, all the
Fortrans I used on small computers (those running DOS, Windows, or
Apple OS) were slow, slow, slow; and Fortran isn't very useful unless
it executes numerical code fast.

I used g77 on my last Fortran project (That was 4 or 5 years ago).
This was a port of 300+ programs from Primos to AIX and Linux.
I didn't have time to do much bench marking, but the resulting
code seemed ok.  It felt more like a mainframe or workstation Fortran
than one of those baby Fortrans they built for small computers.

Of course, g77 follows the 1977 Fortran standard instead of the
1990 or one of the enhanced 1990 standards.  I sort of feel
bad that I've never had a chance to use a more modern Fortran.
Instead, mostly I've used C for that type of work.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist
                                          Portland Linux/Unix Group