[PLUG] Fighting ORDB, solved....

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Mon Sep 23 17:09:40 UTC 2002

So basically I am an idiot.  In my networks I had a class C with a typo
192.XXX.XXX.0/2  not /24.

This would declare all networks 192.0.0.0 and higher to be in my local
networks (192 is binary 1100|0000).

so 212.X.X.X would work, but not 62.X.X.X.

So when people test from a lower network it failed.  ORDB is coming in
at different numbers, so when it hit from 212.242.88.3 it worked, but
when it hit from 62.79.90.71 it did not.

This is why it would pass some days, or for some tests and not others.

A really big thanks to the folks who helped me, especially Wietse who
put in a lot of time for my screwup.  I apologize for wasting people's
time (especially since the private class C did not make the original
posting due to line wrap).

It might would be mighty nice if there was a debug mode where postfix
would post what rule accepted each mail (or I could find that option).
Overload for a normal site, but the only way I found this was setting up
a similar site.  Reproducing the results, and then I went to a default
main.cf.

I checked each line in my original main.cf (grep -v '^#' main.cf | grep
-v '^$').  I searched for each variable set in the original main.cf, and
then added it when it did not match.  When it allowed the tests, it was
on mynetworks, I reduced the line down, and found it.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com
http://www.WhiteKnightHackers.com