[PLUG] Slimscan C6 / Linux

Alain Kirchmeyer akirchmeyer at hixnet.co.za
Tue Sep 24 07:04:55 UTC 2002

Dear Andrew,

I have been trying tomake my scanner(Slimscan C6) work with Linux (Redhat
7.3), without successmake .

As I am not that experienced in Linux, I have some problems to understand the
explanations you gave in one of your mails :

__________________
You need to You need to make sure to load the usb, drivers , then mount the
file
system.

1st.  Make the device.  MAKEDEV sg0 sga

2nd load the modules.   Here are the modules that I needed to load.
        scsi_mod              108608   2  [sg microtek]
        usbcore                73216   1  [ipaq usbserial scanner usb-uhci
microtek]
        usb-uhci               24452   0  (unused)
        microtek                7032   0

3rd  load the usb file system

        I added this to the /etc/fstab
        none                    /proc/bus/usb           usbdevfs
defaults       0 0make

4th         then one should run the cmd sane-find-scanner.

5th xsane should work as root.

6th add your self to the scanner group & chown the scanner to the same
group.

make sure to load the usb, drivers , then mount the file
system.

1st.  Make the device.  MAKEDEV sg0 sga

2nd load the modules.   Here are the modules that I needed to load.
        scsi_mod              108608   2  [sg microtek]
        usbcore                73216   1  [ipaq usbserial scanner usb-uhci
microtek]
        usb-uhci               24452   0  (unused)
        microtek                7032   0

3rd  load the usb file system

        I added this to the /etc/fstab
        none                    /proc/bus/usb           usbdevfs
defaults       0 0

4th         then one should run the cmd sane-find-scanner.

5th xsane should work as root.

6th add your self to the scanner group & chown the scanner to the same
group.
1st : the command (MAKEDEV) does not work on my PC. Is it similar to ln -s sgà
sga ?

2. How do you laod a module ? What does it mean ?

When I run Xsane, the software tells me 'no devices available'

Thanks for your help

Alain