[PLUG] Checking ink levels for Epson C80

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 26 19:19:51 UTC 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com wrote:

> This feature is a function of printer drivers which allow
> bi-directional PCL/PJL protocol exchange between printers and PC's. So
> far Linux printer drivers suport simplified unidirectional set of
> printer commands just to spool a print job and direct it to a printer
> for output. Do you really need to check printer catrige ink level and
> print head condition over a network,or your question just a matter of
> casual curiosity?

I'm going to have to go with the latter.  However, if I had 100 of these
printers to manage instead of just one then I might really NEED to check
the printer ink/head health remotely.

> What would be the practical usage for this feature if it was available
> in Linux?

It would allow large-scale deployment of these printers in a Linux
environment and make management of them much simpler.  For example, by
gathering ink usage information remotely I could predict and record how
much ink was used, ensuring adequate stockpiles of ink.  This could even
be fed into a ticketing system automatically, sending an ink cartridge to
that location and dispatching the local PC tech to go change the ink.

Neither is applicable to my situation.  I'm just (over)curious.  ;-)

  -- Steve