[PLUG] Checking ink levels for Epson C80

Richard Langis richard.langis at sun.com
Thu Sep 26 19:29:41 UTC 2002

Steve Bonds wrote:

> I'm going to have to go with the latter.  However, if I had 100 of these
> printers to manage instead of just one then I might really NEED to check
> the printer ink/head health remotely.

Heh, if you had 100 of these printers in a corporate environment, I
think wanting to check the ink level remotely would be the LEAST of your
worries.  Were I the sysadmin of said (ficticious) company, I'd buy ONE
color laser for each floor/department, rather than 5-10 cheap color
inkjets.  :)

> It would allow large-scale deployment of these printers in a Linux
> environment and make management of them much simpler.  For example, by
> gathering ink usage information remotely I could predict and record how
> much ink was used, ensuring adequate stockpiles of ink.  This could even
> be fed into a ticketing system automatically, sending an ink cartridge to
> that location and dispatching the local PC tech to go change the ink.
>
> Neither is applicable to my situation.  I'm just (over)curious.  ;-)

Although...it would be nice on a home level if the printer was hooked up
to the linux server, and one of the kids couldn't print -
father-type-person could log in remotely from work and check the ink
status, then call home and tell clueless teenager which ink cartridge to
replace.

But, I digress.  To each his own.  :)

-R