[PLUG] Problems Installing Linux on WinNT disk

Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Fri Sep 27 21:30:11 UTC 2002

Bill;

If I were you, this is what I would do:

 1) Download Tom's Root Boot bootable floppy diskette from your NT box.
Follow the instructions for rawwrite (also in Tom's site) to create a
fresh root/boot disk.

  2) Tell your BIOS to boot from the floppy disk. Boot Tom's root/boot disk.

  3) Run fdisk. Linux's fdisk *does* correctly identify NT partitions.
Here's the command:
   fdisk /dev/hda

  4) Press `p' for `Print the partition table' `d' for delete a partition.
Specify the correct partition number to delete (probably partition 2
from your description)

   5) Type `n' for add a New partition. The default start and end
cylanders should be correct.

   6) Type `t' for change the partitions Type. Select type 83, `Linux
Native.'

   8) Type `w' for Write the partition table. Reboot the machine with the
floppy still in the drive.

   9) CAUTION: This next command could wipe out the NT partition if you
are not carefull about what partition you wish to format. *MAKE SURE*
you are working with the correct partition. It is probably /dev/hda2
but I cannot be certain without looking at your partition table.

   mkfs /dev/hda2

The console will seem ``stuck'' for awhile while mkfs does it's work. Be
patient. Observe the HDD LED.

   10) Now, enter this:

      fsck /dev/hda2

   11) fsck will likely tell you that the filesystem is clean after a few
seconds. Reboot the machine, change the BIOS back to booting from the
CD-ROM and be amazed that Anaconda correctly recognizes the partition.

-Cooper