[PLUG] Problems Installing Linux on WinNT disk

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Sep 27 22:06:48 UTC 2002

Cooper Stevenson wrote:
>  1) Download Tom's Root Boot bootable floppy diskette from your NT box.
> Follow the instructions for rawwrite (also in Tom's site) to create a
> fresh root/boot disk.

Thanks, but it doesn't look like "Tom's Root Boot" can be used
with an Windows 2000 box. The web page says "DOS or Windows-9x" I
tried it anyway, and it failed.

So my problem (below) still stands:

> > I want to set up a dual-boot system with WinNT and Linux (RH 7.1)
> > The problem is that I cannot seem to get a partition set up to
> > suit Disk Druid.
> >
> > I have a 40GB drive with a 20 GB partition on it that's totally
> > empty, but it's FAT32 and DD doesn't like it. So I tried to use
> > NT's disk manager and delete that partition, and let Linux claim
> > it. That didn't work as NT left the disk in a state Anaconda
> > doesn't support (Type 0). So then I tried making a small
> > partition (4096 MB) as DOS FAT. DD was happy with that, but
> > wouldn't let me allocate any more than 1MB for the /boot mount
> > point, and apparently I need 2M.
> >
> > Ignorance is frustrating...
> >
> > So then I thought I could just remove that WinNT partition with
> > something lower level that Windows Disk Manager. I then searched
> > for fdisk on my Windows disk. Not there. Not on the original,
> > MS-official, licensed distribution CD, either. Then I heard that
> > I actually need cfdisk for an NT box, 'cause fdisk won't work on
> > NT. Couldn't find cfdisk.exe either.
> >
> > So does anyone know how can get Linux loaded in another partition
> > on the #@$%&* NT machine?
> >
> > TIA,
> > - Bill Thoen

- Bill Thoen
GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302
tel: 303-786-9961, fax: 303-443-4856
mailto:bthoen at gisnet.com, http://www.gisnet.com/