[PLUG] Problems Installing Linux on WinNT disk

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Sep 27 23:58:25 UTC 2002

Well, I got a working copy of Tom's Root Boot (I used another
Linux machine to make it), and it worked up to "mkfs", which
wasn't there. Didn't matter though, the disk came up as a Linux
disk. The partition I wanted to use was /dev/hdb5, and this is
now about 18MB in Linux native format. So I started the install
process again...

Now the NEW problem. I can't put a boot partition on it (error is
'> 1024 cylinders'). Linux keeps wanting to put a boot partition
on /dev/hda, which is 1023 cylinders. However, that disk has only
one partition and it's currently in use by Win2K. Do I have to
use /dev/hda, or can I put Linux entirely on /dev/hdb5? What do I
do if I have to split /dev/hda into two partitions and don't want
to hose up Windows?

- Bill Thoen