[PLUG] Problems Installing Linux on WinNT disk

Keith Nasman keith at ahapala.net
Sat Sep 28 21:59:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Bill Thoen wrote:

> Now the NEW problem. I can't put a boot partition on it (error is
> '> 1024 cylinders'). Linux keeps wanting to put a boot partition
> on /dev/hda, which is 1023 cylinders. However, that disk has only
> one partition and it's currently in use by Win2K. Do I have to
> use /dev/hda, or can I put Linux entirely on /dev/hdb5? What do I
> do if I have to split /dev/hda into two partitions and don't want
> to hose up Windows?

Bill,
Since you are dual booting there are three options for you.

1) Install the RH boot loader to /dev/hdb5 and boot from the floppy you
make during install.
2) Use the Windows boot loader to boot Linux from the hdb5 partition.
3) Install a Linux boot loader and configure it to boot Win2K.

I, personally, would do #1 and then when I got tired of how slow a floppy
boot is I'd go on to #2. If you do try the boot floppy method, dup your
floppy just in case it fails. I use method #2 at work with an NT
workstation, but I don't know what wrinkles Win2K puts in the scenario.
Surf over to http://tldp.org and check out the dual booting HOWTOs for
more info. I'd only do #3 with a couple of full backups of the Win2K
partition(s).

HTH,
Keith