[PLUG] OT?: loud hard drive

Josh Zeckser josh at barkingcorndog.homelinux.org
Sun Sep 29 00:27:22 UTC 2002

I've tried looking online, google searches, etc., but can't find
anything relating to my problem. I have a 40GB Western Digital drive
that makes this horrible high-pitched whining sound as soon as it starts
up and is neverending. Does anyone here have any idea how to
troubleshoot this thing? I've run all of the diagnostic utilites that
came with the drive and they say that the drive is A-OK. It seems to
perform fine, but I can't even use the thing since it's so loud.

-josh zeckser