[PLUG] OT?: loud hard drive

Mark Morgan lemming at attbi.com
Sun Sep 29 00:47:54 UTC 2002

Josh Zeckser wrote:
> I've tried looking online, google searches, etc., but can't find
> anything relating to my problem. I have a 40GB Western Digital drive
> that makes this horrible high-pitched whining sound as soon as it starts
> up and is neverending. Does anyone here have any idea how to
> troubleshoot this thing? I've run all of the diagnostic utilites that
> came with the drive and they say that the drive is A-OK. It seems to
> perform fine, but I can't even use the thing since it's so loud.

Hmmm. 7200 RPM?  Is this a recent high pitched whining or has it always
been like that?

The 60GB & 80GB are not quiet, but not excessively loud either IMO.  At
least when inside a case...

If it's a recent development, it could be that a bearing is starting to
go.  I had a Quantum at work the other day that sounded like a jet
taking off and it was bugging people a couple rows over.  (And I work in
a noisy lab.)  It passed all it's diagnostics as well, but after three
hours siezed up and made a nice clunking noise.
Then it wasn't so loud :)

-Mark