[PLUG] Cleaning up cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 29 15:34:02 UTC 2002

  For the past couple of Sundays I've seen this message in my morning mail,
but I've not been able to figure out what to do about it.

  Reading /etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron tells me that the script
establishes a so-so lock, then runs 'makewhatis -w' to rebuild the database
I access with the locate command.

  But, it doesn't suggest -- to me -- what to do to resolve these errors.
They missing files appear to be man pages and this raises the questions of
why they're missing (on a newly established RH 7.3 system), whether I should
try to find the files and install them some place or whether I need to tell
makewhatis to not look for these guys.

/etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis.cron:

zcat: ./mailq.1.gz: No such file or directory
zcat: ./newaliases.1.gz: No such file or directory
zcat: ./aliases.5.gz: No such file or directory
Read file error: ./disable.8 No such file or directory
Read file error: ./reject.8 No such file or directory

  What write you experts?

Thanks,