[PLUG] Linux Firewall with Cisco Router

john morgali aarghj at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 29 21:04:19 UTC 2002

first, the other two lights light up they are called
'100' and 'Full/Col' means that you are not running on
100base tx on that nic, which is normal because the
cisco 678 only has a 10baset ethernet port on it.
after all, you arent going to see dsl service above
10mb/s anyway, right?

second, the cisco needs to be configured for dhcp, as
it gets its ip dynamically from the isp.  it also
gives an ip dynamically to the cpe(customer premise
equipment).  therefore, both the cisco and the
firewall need to be configured to recieve their ip's
dynamically.  the firewall would have the wan nic
configured this way.

third, I would personally get the internal network
working first, using static ip addressing.  you can
set this up without worrying about the wan nic and its
address, as they are effectively independant in this
situation.

hope this helps, and I would welcome any feedback to
my advise from other pluggers!

John

--- michaelj at golgi.net wrote:
> Hello-
>
> Well I figured it was time to lock down my network
> with a Linux firewall
> instead of the minimal firewall provided in my Cisco
> router.
>
> I have been running my home network with a Cisco 678
> modem/router (?)
> hooked up to a Linksys 5 port switch. (DSL with
> Qwest)
>
> I was recently given an old box so I downloaded a
> copy of Coyote Linux and
> I now have the box running Coyote Linux off of the
> floppy.
>
> I plugged the Cisco 678 with a crossover cable into
> one NIC on my box, I
> then took a regular cable and ran it from the second
> NIC to the switch.
>
> The Cisco 678 showed a LAN link and activity, so I
> think that is all
> working pretty well. The switch shows a link but
> neither of the other two
> lights light up they are called '100' and
> 'Full/Col'.
>
> The Cisco 678 is 10.0.0.1
> The internet NIC on the Linux box is 10.0.0.2
> What should the NIC going to the switch be?
>
> The Cisco 678 has DHCP running, the Linux box does
> not. Do I need to
> swap this around so that the Cisco 678 is static and
> the Linux box is
> running DHCP?
>
> Would a good trouble shooting activity be to get the
> LAN working without
> the Cisco 678 even in the picture?
>

> Thanks in advanced for your help-
> Michael

=====
Pursuant to U.S. code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, and consistent with Oregon State Law, any and all unsolicited  commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a consulting fee.
U.S. E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.
Consult http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html for details.