[PLUG] VMWare

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Sep 30 03:09:01 UTC 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Jim Webb wrote:

> Russ,
>
> When I looked for my video card, it didn't show up.  I have an xtasy which
> uses nvidia geforce 2 ti.  I installed an nvidia geforce 2 generic since
> there wasn't a geforce2 ti.
>
> I'm a little confused by the virtual nature here.  I also chose not to have
> a firewall setup.  I'm basically flying by the seat of my pants here.
[snip]

You don't understand the nature of a virtual machine, NONE of the real
hardware on your computer has anything to do with the hardware in your
virtual machine, you need to think of each VMware virtual machine as
though it is a completely different piece of physical hardware from the
host computer.  A virtual machine has it's own virtual devices which
typically (but not always) behave as though they are one particular
brand/model of real hardware, regardless of what your host computer
uses.  If you look at the VMware documentation, you will find a
description of the hardware that the virtual machine presents to the guest
operating system.  For the SCSI, IDE, and ethernet adapters, they are
standard devices (though I don't remember which ones), for the virtual
display adapter, VMware has done their own implementation and provide
drivers as part of the VMware tools installation once your guest operating
system is up and running.