[PLUG] VMWare

Jim Webb jimwebb at charter.net
Mon Sep 30 03:23:53 UTC 2002

I see from their site that this is what the virtual system appears as:

Virtual Machine Specifications

Each virtual machine created with VMware Workstation 3.2 provides a platform
that includes the following devices that your guest operating system can
see.

Processor

Same processor as that on host computer
Single processor per virtual machine on symmetric multiprocessor systems

Chip Set

Intel 440BX-based motherboard with NS338 SIO chip

BIOS

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6

Memory

Up to 1GB, depending on host memory
Maximum of 1GB total available for all virtual machines

Graphics

VGA and SVGA support

IDE Drives

Up to four devices - disks, CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (DVD drives can be used to
read data DVD-ROM discs; DVD video is not supported)
Hard disks can be virtual disks or physical disks
IDE virtual disks up to 128GB
CD-ROM can be a physical device or an ISO image file

SCSI Devices

Up to seven devices
SCSI virtual disks up to 256GB
Hard disks can be virtual disks or physical disks
Generic SCSI support allows devices to be used without need for drivers in
the host OS
Works with scanners, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, tape drives and other SCSI devices

Mylex® (BusLogic) BT-958 compatible host bus adapter (requires add-on driver
from VMware for Windows XP and Windows .NET Server)

Floppy Drives

Up to two 1.44MB floppy devices
Physical drives or floppy image files

Serial (COM) Ports

Up to four serial (COM) ports
Output to serial ports, Windows or Linux files, or named pipes

Parallel (LPT) Ports

Up to two bidirectional parallel (LPT) ports
Output to parallel ports or host operating system files

USB ports

Two-port USB 1.1 controller
Supports devices including USB printers, scanners, PDAs, hard disk drives,
memory card readers and still digital cameras

Keyboard

104-key Windows 95/98 enhanced

Mouse and Drawing Tablets

PS/2 mouse
Serial tablets supported

Ethernet Card

Up to three virtual Ethernet cards
AMD PCnet-PCI II compatible

Sound

Sound output and input
Creative Labs Sound Blaster® 16, PCM sound compatible (MIDI sound, game
controllers and joysticks not supported.)

Virtual Networking and File Sharing

Nine virtual Ethernet switches (three reserved for bridged, host-only and
NAT networking)
Virtual Ethernet support includes TCP/IP, NetBEUI, Microsoft Networking,
Samba, Novell® NetWare® and Network File System
Built-in NAT supports client software using TCP/IP, FTP, DNS, HTTP and
Telnet