[PLUG] compile OPT flags

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Mon Sep 30 15:40:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Keith Nasman wrote:

> I am delving into RPM building and in there you can specify the
> optflags for building optimally under different processors. Ex:
>
> optflags: i386 -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce
> optflags: sparc -O2
>
> Would someone be so kind as to point me to some docs on explaining
> these?  At this point, I'd settle for some optflags I can put in my
> .rpmrc to investigate later. :-)

The optflags macro is read on a per-platform basis. Rather than trying
to have a single ~/.rpmrc that works on all your platforms, you might
consider installing a platform-specific /etc/rpm/macros on each build
host. On you sparc, for instance, your /etc/rpm/macros could be

%optflags  -O3 -mcpu=v9

(Of course, if your host isn't running an Ultra, you'll want to change
v9 to v8 or something more appropriate.)

I'm not sure that helps. Does it?

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>