[PLUG] 2.4.19 kernel + RAID 0/RAID 1/RAID 0+1

Michael Luevane mikel at quantecllc.com
Mon Sep 30 21:01:12 UTC 2002

Hello, pluggers.

I've searched the archives for information on getting 2.4.19 to work with
RAID, specifically the Promise TX2000 PCI RAID controller card.

I've found quite a bit of information on it, but I'm guessing that I'm
missing a step.

The kernel has RAID support compiled in (not a module) and I've seen the
four drives recognized as hde-hdh.
I've installed the raidtools RPM from Mandrake (that's the distro I'm
using).
I've put the append= line into lilo and rerun lilo.

I've also got the Linux ATA RAID HOW-TO and a couple of others, but they
don't seem to help.

Now, I'm stuck.
I *think* that I need to mkfs.ext3 on the disks and then use mktab to mount
them, but I'm not sure. I'm not a big Linux guru type, so I'm kinda iffy.

Anyone else manage to get the Promise RAID card, 2.4.19, and the linux-raid
in general to work?

I'd appreciate pointers, sites, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Luevane, Analyst/Network Admin