[PLUG] CDROM filename problem

Vincent Damewood vincentdamewood at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 03:07:01 UTC 2003

> I'm sorry if you took it that way. It wasn't
> intended that way. I was simply pointing out that
> UIDs are (to my knowledge, which has been known to
> be in error before) always stored, and the OS does
> the translation.
>
> We all make mistakes, and sometimes, someone knows
> more than either of us. :)

... Combined.

No problem. Hehe, that's why I pointed out that I use
tar to keep permissions. It actually does store the
user name and group name of the files in archives (not
UID and GID), and you can use the --same-owner and an
other couple of flags to extract the files exactly as
they were on the system that tarred it. Thus making
lots of fun is the user doesn't exist on your system.

Peace,
Vincent Damewood