[PLUG] RH 7.x EOL

David Pool dpool at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 3 09:33:01 UTC 2003

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I just don't get the griping. Red Hat has to pay its developers, and
> to do so, it's got to make a profit. Does anyone seriously expect that
> Red Hat can maintain long-term support of older distributions that
> generate no income?

Technical quibbling, but to be clear RH pays it's developers out of income not
profit. Profit is revenue minus expenses and the developers are expenses. With
$300 Million in reserves (last i checked) RH can get by indefinitely without
profit.

They do need to generate income, though, like you said, and otherwise i agree
with your line of reasoning.

david pool