[PLUG] Digging out of a deep hole

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 3 19:30:02 UTC 2003

  I think that I shot myself in the foot: on the new notebook installation
(slackware-8.1) I had not yet set an alias for 'rm' to be 'rm -i'.
Naturally, the keyboard layout is different on the notebook than on the
workstations.

  So, I go to remove /etc/*~ and my little finger hits the [Enter] key
rather than the tilde. Ker-chunk! All gone. And, unrecoverable. Sigh.

  Well, I _was_ going to upgrade to 9.0 anyway, but this is a bit sooner
than planned. My question to you SysAdmins is this: without /etc/fstab will
I have to repartition the hard drive or will fdisk keep the information and
let the system recreate /etc/fstab?

Thanks,