[PLUG] Help needed: notebook stuck in mid-reboot

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Fri Apr 4 09:11:01 UTC 2003

For future reference, the toshiba laptops I've worked with were _very_
difficult to TURN off. pressing the power switch invariably put them
to sleep (they can do this in hardware, I don't know what sleep stat
it is but it appears to keep the ram powered up while everything else
is quiet).

To turn them off I've had to hold the power button for some
innordinate length of time, longer than your typical 5-second ATX
thing, it seems.

Anyhow, this could explain the behavior you saw, and the solution you
came up with fits. The system won't post when you turn it back on
because it wasn't actually off.

-Rogan