[PLUG] HB2892 Made The Oregonian

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Fri Apr 4 17:14:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 14:08, Steven A. Adams wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 14:07, Eric Harrison wrote:
>
> > "avoid" != "prohibit"
> >
> > I think you are reading too much into this, even the BSA and ISC guys
> > did not have this interpretation.
> >
> > -Eric
> >

> In reality, "avoid" == "don't consider" == "prohibit purchasing" which
> goes back to the need for some minor language changes.

I disagree, my experience with government procurement is that they read
this language very carefully and read it in the most favorable light
towards the procurement of the system most favored by the procuring
agency.  Avoid means you need to say why you picked it, they won't have
to try hard to come up with a reason.

This bill if passed would not actually require any change it the
software purchased, since you can always come up with an excuse.  The
pratical effect of this biilo would be two fold, it would give "cover"
to any agency that chose and open source product so that when the
inevtable problems occur and some MS flack won;t be able get people
fired for chosing some <insert derogatory label here> instead of the
"industry standard well proven..." product from Redmond Washington.

Second it will and a hoop to jump thorough so that sometimes it may just
be easier to chose a FOSS product than the crap from MS, to offset the
effort of learning about the alternatives and educating you boss.