[PLUG] fdformat: what filesystem?z

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 4 19:55:02 UTC 2003

  When I run 'fdformat /dev/fd0H1440', is any filesystem put on the floppy
disk? It's a low-level format so I assume not. But, when I try using
                         /sbin/mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0
I get a bad blocks report.

  What I'm trying to do is copy a bunch of linux files (e.g., /etc/skel/.*,
~/.bash*) to a floppy both for storage and for transfer to a portable. But,
the floppy disk comes out of the box as vfat filesystem and it screws up the
filenames as well as changing owners and permissions.

  What am I doing wrong here?

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President