[PLUG] fdformat: what filesystem?z

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Apr 4 23:43:02 UTC 2003

Russell Senior wrote:

> Kyle> I always just use mtools and leave the floppy with in its
> Kyle> "native" msdos format.  ext2 just isn't suited for removable
> Kyle> media, IMHO.  Maybe it's better now, but I used to get kernel
> Kyle> panics when ejecting a mounted ext2 floppy.
>
> There is always the extravagent step of umount'ing them before
> ejection, of course.

I've heard of that but it seems to go against nature.  I came in after
washing machines & disk packs and always thought the folks had it right when
they invented the eject button.  Plus why waste the time reformatting a
floppy disk to ext2?  I'll have to look into the filename truncation, don't
remember it being a problem, but it's been awhile since I've needed a floppy
for anything.

--
Kyle Accardi