[PLUG] redhat on RISC?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sat Apr 5 18:09:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 10:07, Steven A. Adams wrote:
> For what it's worth, SuSE in the s390 build is labled SLES7 and SLES8.
> Redhat also builds and markets an s390 and z/Series version in the 7 and
> 8 versions. It's doubtful that many will use these builds since they run
> exclusively on the IBM mainframe environments and are pretty expensive
> to support. For example, SuSE supports the SLES builds through a web
> site ( not adequate for prime-time ) and Mainline offers 3rd party live
> support agreements with the total support+OS package prices around ~42K
> annually. Redhat builds AS for the z/Series and s/390 platforms and
> fully supports it in Basic and Enterprise packages ( 12x7 or 24x7
> support respectfully ), and the cost is ~15K annually.

I believe RH also ships a PowerPC distro for IBM pSeries (nee RS/6000).
The binaries work on Macs but the kernel and installer are specially
built for pSeries.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
QCSNet                                     http://www.qcsn.com
* * * * T1, Frame Relay, DSL, Dial-up, and Web Hosting * * * *
*   My GPG key recently expired.  It's updated on the key    *
*   servers.  Please update if you're using GPG/PGP.         *