[PLUG] UML command line for console on a remote box

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 5 21:07:01 UTC 2003

I am experimenting with user-mode linux on a headless box that I am
secure-shelled into.  I am having trouble figuring out the linux
command-line to give me a console.  When I "boot", I get a bunch of
normal boot messages, but then:

   INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
   Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
   Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
   Starting internet superserver: inetd.
   Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
   Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
   INIT: Id "0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
   INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
   INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
   INIT: Id "c" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
   INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

The 0, 1, 2, and c are all from the uml's /etc/inittab.

A separate xterm would be nice, but I'd be happy just getting the
console on the xterm I am launching the uml from.  I've tried various
permutations from the uml website:

  <http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/input.html>

but really I am just flailing at the moment.  Anyone with some clues?

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more