[PLUG] UML command line for console on a remote box

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sun Apr 6 16:42:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 16:21, Russell Senior wrote:

> Stafford> I had the same problem, and figured out that my uml root_fs
> Stafford> inittab was trying to spawn gettys on ttys that didn't
> Stafford> exist. You can confirm that by loopback mounting your
> Stafford> root_fs on your host machine, something like:
>
> Stafford> mount -o loop /usr/local/uml/root_fs /mnt
>
> Russell> Yeah, that's what I did to "fix" it.  In my case, I just
> Russell> commented out all the ttys and made sshd work instead.
>
> Derek> You can also override this with command line parameters when
> Derek> you start the uml, I use something like this to start the file
> Derek> "root_fs":
>
> Derek> linux eth0=tuntap,,,192.168.0.50 con=port:9000
> Derek> con1=tty:/dev/tty11 con0=tty:/dev/tty12
>
> Derek> which directs the boot message stuff to tty12
> Derek> (<ctrl>+<alt>+<F12>) on the host, first console to tty11
> Derek> (<ctrl>+<alt>+<F11>), [...]
>
> This is a headless box, so that doesn't help me too much.
>
> Derek> and the rest redirected to port 9000 on
> Derek> the host.  To login, just "telnet hostname 9000", even if the
> Derek> tuntap network isn't working.
>
> This was one of the things I tried when flailing, but I never got it
> to work for me.

It didn't start working for me until I assigned con0 and con1
elsewhere.  I think that con0 has to be able to push out text to
something that will act like it is being displayed, port 9000 doesn't
qualify until a telnet session is started.

> Part of my problem was trying to understand where the handle "con1"
> (et al) came from and how to translate that (if necessary) in other
> contexts.

Maybe direct it to a serial port (or parallel port)?

Derek Loree