[PLUG] Apache Questions

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Apr 7 13:46:01 UTC 2003

* Stephen Young <deafphate at hotmail.com> [2003-04-07 13:39]:

> I have a domain that I want to add some subdomains or virtual hosts to.
> The main domain is registered with DNS yet it appears that the subdomains
> also have to be registered with DNS in order for me to browse to them.  I
> thought that apache would handle all of the sub domain information.
>
> Any one know what setting I could have wrong, I can paste my config for the
> virtual hosts if that is needed.

As far as I know, you do have to have the subdomains listed in the
domain for a browser to find them.

If you have the domain "domain.com", and you put a webpage there, the
browser finds it, and apache sends it.

If you then set up apache to serve "subdomain.domain.com", it knows
about it, but the browser won't, until you put "subdomain.domain.com" in
your dns. The reason is that as far as the 'net is concerned,
"subdomain.domain.com" doesn't exist until it's listed in your dns.

Hope that helps.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #5 (Collect all 18)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi