[PLUG] smtpd failures

Michael Montagne montagne at boora.com
Tue Apr 8 10:01:02 UTC 2003

I'm using smtpd to route mail through spamassassin and then to Exchange.
Lately, we've been noticing entries like this in the log:

Apr  8 10:08:16 zipper smtpd[30814]: smtp connection from
UNKNOWN at UNKNOWN(206.102.12.9) MAIL FROM: <astadler at glumac.com> RCPT TO:
<harper at boora.com>, allowed by line 235 of /etc/smtpd_check_rules
Apr  8 10:08:16 zipper smtpd[30814]: Recipient <harper at boora.com>
Apr  8 10:08:16 zipper smtpd[30814]: Read failed from client fd
(Connection reset by peer) - Abandoning      session
Apr  8 10:08:16 zipper smtpd[30814]: write failed: (Broken pipe)

That mail never makes it to the recipient.  Does anyone have any clue
what that might mean.  The sender can usually send to others in the
office so I don't think the problem is on their end....but who knows.
The line UNKNOWN at UNKNOWN is harmless too, lots of mails DO get through
when logged this way.

--
  Michael Montagne  http://www.themontagnes.com  503.226.1575