[PLUG] Red Hat Enterprise ES ISO's

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Tue Apr 8 15:37:01 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Daggett, Steve wrote:
>
> Have they even released the ES product?

  It depends on what you call their "ES Product".  They have a new "enterprise" offering that doesn't appear to be available.  That seems to be the stuff getting press from Oracle.

  The "Enterprise AS" offering appears to be a re-licensed version of their old high-end enterprise offering.  The "Enterprise ES" seems to be the same stuff without the clustering tools.

  It's hard to tell...  I'm having trouble parsing technical information from the marketing BS on their web site.  It doesn't help when they don't return calls or emails.

> The "Advanced Server" product was a hacked version of 7.2.  (2.4.9
> kernel.)
>
> The "enterprise" code seems to be pretty conservative when it
> comes to versions.

  That's what I'm looking for... I just need a stable 2.4.x based release and security patches.  I don't want to rebuild these beasts every year when RHN drops support for the release dejure.

> Redhat 9 is a weird beast and runs 2.4.20 with a bunch of
> backports from
> 2.5.x.  (Enough that it is kind of both and neither.)

  I've run the modules and apps on 2.4.18 kernel in RH 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0.  They all seem to work OK, except for hotplug!  I have to disabling hotpug in RH 7.3 and 8.0.  The "thunk" to userspace causes huge delays when I configured devices.

> If your code works for any of the stock 2.4 Redhat kernels,
> you should be OK.  I would especially test if you run with the Redhat 9
> kernel, as it has the most knarly changes.  (nptl thread library and
> scheduler changes.)

  I'm building production systems right now.  Testing on the "2.[56].x" kernel will have to wait for a free day in the lab.

<python mode="monty">
  Run Away! Run Away!
</python>