[PLUG] HB 2892 Update

Cooper Stevenson cooper at cooper.stevenson.name
Thu Apr 10 09:13:01 UTC 2003

Friends,

I attended the meeting yesterday at the Capitol meeting to help hammer
out a compromise on HB 2892, the Open Source bill.

Proponents of the bill comprised Rep. Barnhart, Ken Barber, Paul Nelson
with Multnomah ESD, and myself.

Opponents comprised of a representative of Microsoft, the Initiative for
Software Choice, legal council, and the Dept. of Administrative
Services.

The bill is currently in the amendment phase. It seems that there is
sufficient need to warrant a bill over simply modifying the current
Oregon statutes.

It turns out that language already exists in the Oregon Statutes
discussing "Open Systems." It was expressed that in this area of the
bill simply modifying the existing Oregon Statutes may prove more
flexible in the long term. Statutory recognition of Open Source, in
conjunction with the bill itself, was deemed by DAS as the most
appropriate way to achieve the desired "leveling" affect.

DAS has offered to propose the amendments that we discussed. I am
pleased with our current progress and look forward to reviewing DAS's
proposed amendments.

Finally, Rep. Krummel took a few moments to oversee our progress. He
"laid it down" and expressed that he really would like to see a level
playing field and open standards with the State's IT procurement
process. Those of you who live Wilsonville are lucky to have him.

I will keep you posted including a complete transcript of the DAS's
proposed changes to both the Oregon Statute and the bill itself.

Very Truly Yours,

Cooper Stevenson
Em:  cooper at cooper.stevenson.name
Www: http://www.mwvlug.org